Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Where to start...

         We found out that our baby was a girl at 18 weeks due to a quick unscheduled ultrasound. So when it came time for our 20 week anatomy scan we were excited to see our girl on screen but thoughts that we'd find out something big that day were not there. We were told that our baby girl, Riley Marie, has a congenital heart defect known as hypoplastic left heart syndrome. We met with a high risk ob/gyn that day and they confirmed. Devastated cannot even begin to describe what we were feeling...

         A week later, yesterday, we met with a pediatric cardiologist who performed an extensive ultrasound and Echo on our baby's heart. She was so wiggly during it that the Dr. had the hardest time looking at her heart! She is growing perfectly otherwise and continues to be right on track with growth. They again confirmed the diagnosis and drew us a picture to try to explain what it all meant. To explain it in a very simplified way Riley's left side of her heart is extremely small and underdeveloped to the point where it will never be functional. There is no way to change that but instead she will have 3 surgeries to help the right side of her heart function for the left side. We are definitely still learning and trying to understand all of this. We have decided that I will deliver at St. Vincent's hospital and she will have her surgeries at Peyton Manning's Children's hospital. She will be in the NICU after she is born until her first surgery which is usually within 5-14 days after birth. We learned that there is nothing that caused her to have this and that nothing we did or didn't do caused it. We are truly blessed to live in this time where there has been so many advances with the surgeries as all of this technology around hypoplastic left heart syndrome is only 30 years old and before that the survival rate for these babies was not existent.

           Robbie, Lucas, Baby Riley, and I are beyond blessed with wonderful, loving, and supportive family and friends. The tremendous out pour of love and support already has been overwhelming and extremely appreciated! The news of  Riley's heart is still new and we easily become very emotional about it but we have definitely made the decision to stay positive and realize that God has a plan! The Dr.'s have said that my pregnancy should be smooth sailing and that her issues will begin after she is born so my job is to get her as strong and big as I can before she is born. I have been drinking V-8 everyday to get my veggies and absolutely no caffeinated drinks :) I feel like I need to stay positive not only for my sanity and so I can function everyday but also to spread my positive energy to her! We have decided that Riley's life will be surrounded by yellow and sunshine, inspired by the basket of sunshine that my sweet friend Michelle brought me last week! Her room will be yellow and it will be her signature color :) I have never considered myself someone that would have a blog but I felt like this was a good way to keep everyone updated on Riley so I do apologize for not being the best or most creative writer! We appreciate all the prayers and thoughts we can get along with any advice anyone might have!

No comments:

Post a Comment